Saturday 13 October 2007

Weekend Assignment 187: You're Late!

Well it has been a while so here we go...

Weekend Assignment #187: Share a story about when you were once memorably late to something. Late to a big event? To a date? To a wedding? Your wedding? If you were late, and it made for a good story, that's what we want to hear.

Extra Credit: How many times do you have to hit the alarm clock before you get up in the morning?

*Note this may sound similar to John's but I wrote it before reading John's own story - which you can either believe or not - your choice! But why I would just copy his story then post to his blog I do not know! Although mine has a happier if more deviate ending.

This was back when I was at Uni - for the second time...

End of semester - exam time - I took the day off work to do my final exam for the semester and the year... got up at a reasonable time (8:30 - at the time I worked 6am -2pm so i could go to class in the afternoon evening) and went about my business of getting up. Made toast, coffee got that all together and sat at the computer to review some stuff and check what room the exam was in.

You see I thought that I had an afternoon exam hence my apparent "at ease" state. I was wrong.

I clicked on my exam timetable and was horrified to see that my exam had started 10 minutes previously. My throat closed, I saw stars, I saw the whole semester of work being shoved doen the drain. I was in a state of panic. I ran around thinking WTF do I do???

You see the exam wasn't just down the road at the local campus, no the subject I wanted to do was held at the main campus a full hour drive away! So no chance that I could get there and have any hope of doing anything worthwhile for the exam.

The only thing left for me to do was - lie!

I rang my doctor, faked bad hayfever and astma and got a certificate, sent in all the paperwork and had the exam rescheduled for another time. I was back home by the time the exam was offically over.

After a few drinks I had a close to normal heart beat - and then checked (about 20 times) the date and time of my next exam - which was the afternoon exam I thought this one was.

I learned and made sure I knew all my exam times and still checked them a hundered times the night before...

Extra Credit:

I set the alarm at least 30 minutes before I really want/need to get up so I can do 3-4 snoozes... I like a good snooze. Although when I need to get up early just get up no snooze ( i.e. 6am or earlier)

No comments: