Saturday 3 November 2007

William Gibson...

SF Diplomat has a lot to say about the new William Gibson Novel, read all about it here.

If you are a Gibson fan I would like to know what you think about the comments made here - I have to date only read two Gibson's Neuromancer and The Difference Engine (with Bruce Sterling). I have heard good things about Pattern Recognition and Spook Country is the sequel to that one...

I suppose once I read them I too can make comment.

But I can see from reading the Raymond E Feist Riftwar series that it gets a little old as time goes past - what was once a great series full of adventure and new exciting polt twists becomes a little boring and stale... but the first books are still great reads after a few times. Why is that? Is it the writer getting old or the material?

Food for thought I guess.

1 comment:

Constance Parker said...

Woah -- that's one hell of a panning -- it makes me jealous.

However, I think I can see where the reviewer is coming from. You know I love Gibson and am a huge fan of his earlier works, but ever since he stopped writing about the future and started writing about the present, his work has gone downhill. I enjoyed Pattern Recognition, but I don't find myself really giving a damn about any of the characters (unlike my feelings towards Molly and Case, who are two of my favorite characters in fiction.)

I've not read Spook Country, but I will. I'm just not sure if I'll actually enjoy it like I did his earlier work.